How to choose a name for your Christmas Elf
Some of my friends picked their children’s names quickly. Just as you choose a shiny red apple at the grocer’s without thinking much about it, they picked a name in a flash. No hesitation. No squabbling. No ridiculous suggestions from siblings.
Finding a name for our three children wasn’t quick or straight forward, so I was a little nervous about choosing a name for an elf. Santa probably sensed my nervousness and I was relieved to find our Christmas elf already had a name when he arrived.
Naming your elf can start the magic and make it come alive, so if your elf hasn’t arrived with its own name, you’ll want to choose one quickly. And you’ll want a good name too, Santa has trusted you with this important task and you don’t want to upset Santa do you?
Choosing a Christmas elf name is very much like choosing a human name for a new baby with one important difference: when you name your elf you can have as much fun as you’d like. Elves have no fear of ridicule and no notion of embarrassment – in fact they will relish unusual names.
Tips to help you pick the perfect name
Elfin – our resident elf and Santa’s Chief Elf has the following tips to help you pick the right name for your elf:
- You must find a name that totally rocks – cool, silly, old fashioned, fun, ridiculous, beautiful? You elf won’t mind as long as it rocks!
- Elf will love to have two names Noel Jangle, Ginger Forest, Holly Diamond or any other combination you can think of. After all you have a first and last name, so why should your elf be left out?
- Choose a name that’s easy to say, the kids need to be able to say it, so they can tell all their friends about it!
- Choose a name that sounds fun – after all the Christmas Elf tradition is all about having fun
Christmas Elf names ideas
If your mind has gone blank, we have listed a few Christmas Elf name ideas to help you get the creative juices flowing.
Traditional Christmas Elf names
You could name your elf after the 6 original Nordic elves that helped Santa from the beginning:
- Alabaster Snowball – Administrator of the Naughty and Nice list
- Bushy Evergreen – Inventor of the Magic toy-making machine
- Pepper Minstix – Chief of security and guardian of Father Christmas’s secret village
- Shinny Upatree – Santa’s oldest friend and the co-founder of the secret village
- Sugarplum Mary – Head of the sweet treats – assists Mrs. Claus and helps her in the kitchen.
- Wunorse Openslae – Designer of Father Christmas’s magic sleigh and keeper of the reindeer
Find out more about the traditional names of the first Christmas Elves >
Other popular Christmas elves names:
Buddy – the name of the character of Will Ferrell in Elf.
Kringle – Another name for Secret Santa and one of the main characters in Miracle on 34th Street
December – The month of Christmas Magic! A perfect name for a little elf who brings Christmas cheer for all to hear!
Gingerbread, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cookie, Candy
Festive, wintery or Christmas related names
Most elves names relate to Christmas, so maybe try and think of a name that ties into Christmas! Here are a few ideas:
Angel, Holly, Mistletoe, Noel, Twinkle, Jingle, Snowball, Snowflake, Frosty, Jangle, Tinsel, Shiny
Still unsure? Why not call him Santa’s Little Helper?